Monday, November 15, 2010

Is it really the middle of November already?

I keep saying I'm going to update this thing. Then days and weeks go by and I realize the last thing I updated was super long and about my kids' personality types. Ugh. When did I become a boring blogger?

I am thinking of starting over, but then I look at some of my previous posts and am reminded of fun stories that I completely forgot about and realize that while this indeed is a blog meant to keep our families and far away friends up to date with what's going on, it's also a great way to remind me of some of the funny things my kids have done. Like when Nathaniel would get up super early and turn the television on for himself after closing our bedroom door first to keep us from hearing him. He did that at 22 months old. It also reminds me of some of my parenting techniques which were totally frustrating, but worked because now Nathaniel is a fairly well behaved 4 year old. It's a great motivator to keep on going as Aaron enters fully his "terrible two's".

And how!

Aaron no longer says, "No!" in a cute, high pitched way. It is an absolute, "there is no way on God's green earth that you are going to make me do/eat/touch/go whatever, woman!" I swear he says no just out of response to what I'm saying or asking. Even if it's really something he wants, his first response is "No!"

Ah, the joys.

And have I mentioned the biting? He is my little juvenile delinquent when it comes to biting. He is on his last straw at daycare, and still openly bites his brother here at home. Although, today I saw bite marks on Aaron's leg and had to have a stern talking to with Nathaniel ("But Mommy, he was hitting me!"). Today I thought someone was going to call CPS on me because while we were in the bathroom in Disneyland Aaron bit me on the arm and my response was to give him a firm smack on the mouth. Which echoed in the bathroom and he immediately cried (it was three cries and he quit). Then, because he's a white boy, he has a red mark on his face for a few minutes (it was totally gone 10 minutes later). Of course, the cleaning person happened to be sweeping right outside the stall where this all went down. No comments were made, however, and he was fine.

But, between the biting and the fighting and the wrestling and the whining, the boys are amazing. Aaron's vocabulary is starting that fun "picking up the pace" stage where the words are just exploding. He calls Nathaniel "bubba" or "Naaaa", but today I distinctly heard, "aniel!" come from his mouth. They play together well and love each other fiercely. Nathaniel is super protective of Aaron, to the point where he doesn't want him to go on any rides at Disneyland that he deems scary. If he thinks something is too scary or hard for Aaron, Nathaniel will get super upset and cry and try to hold him back physically. I love the protective nature, but keep reminding Nathaniel that Aaron has to learn how to do things for himself and learn how to make decisions. It's the same with talking. Nathaniel keeps answering for Aaron, which makes it so that Aaron doesn't feel the need to answer any of my questions. He just looks to Nathaniel.

I've entered my second trimester with baby number three. It's been a good and fairly easy journey so far. My morning sickness hasn't been too out of control, but I have been more tired lately. I have definitely felt this one kicking for the past week, which is very cool. It's that great part of pregnancy where I feel like I have a secret because while people know I'm pregnant, no one can feel the kicks but me, so I have this neat little bond happening. :)

Nathaniel is asking a lot of questions about babies and development and how they get into the tummy, which has led to a few interesting conversations and child safe pictures in magazines. It's been great, but I think he's a little confused because when Sam asked Nathaniel if I swallowed a baby he said, "No, mom swallowed an egg." hmmmm....

That's about it here. I'm going to try to update at least once a week with anecdotes of my children or of life in general. At the very least I want to post some pictures! I don't even know if people read this any more, but at least it will be good for later.

No comments: