Sunday, April 29, 2012

Gaining confidence

Nathaniel has finally gained confidence and has found his voice.

It's such a relief. This is the same boy who a year ago wouldn't speak up when he was in pain and needed help at school. He also wouldn't say anything if someone was picking on him or had hurt his feelings.

However, this year at kindergarten I have enjoyed watching him come out of his shell. I have seen him act silly in front of the entire class, I have seen him confidently do what he wants to do instead of joining in an activity that other kids are doing, and I've seen him "use his words" in a way that shows that he is sure of himself.

Last week at school one little girl was hanging on him a little bit. Nothing major, but she was holding onto his shoulders and trying to "help" me get sunscreen on him (it was really sweet). Nathaniel, however, did NOT like her help and boldly (but not in a mean way) turned to her and said, "Stop it!" He said it three times, but she eventually got the idea. And, he didn't cry. :)

However, today showed me that he really has become more confident in who he is.

Sam took Benjamin with him when they took his mom to the airport tonight. When they left I was out in the garage starting laundry and cleaning up some things, so Nathaniel and Aaron were in the house alone for a few minutes. When I came back inside Nathaniel came out of his bedroom with a look of surprise on his face. He then said, "I thought you went to the airport with grandma!"

I looked at him and said, "No, Dad did. Wait, did you think I left too?"

Nathaniel said, "Yup!"

He was perfectly fine even though he thought that we had left him alone with his little brother. A year ago, he would have come unglued!

I did ask him what they were doing to do while we were gone. He said, "Play. And wait for you."

He makes me laugh...

No comments: