Saturday, August 30, 2008

Concerns.

I told you all that once political season started I would blog more! On a quick side note, if any one is curious, we found a place to live. I will post about that later.

I am concerned about McCain's choice of a running mate. I haven't really poked around for much information, and what little information I have gotten have been from Internet news sites (like Yahoo news, I just haven't had the time to really sit down and read much). But, from what I understand, Palin is really not qualified to be the V.P.! I mean, for one, she is young and inexperienced. She is only 44 and has only been in a major public office for 2 years. That's nothing! That's hardly enough time to figure out what the heck is going on. Secondly, many of the sites I have read have simply been talking about what a good choice she is because of her pro-life stance. One site applauded her for keeping her baby even after she found out he had Downs Syndrome. That's awesome. I'm all for pro-life and not killing our children (especially for dumb reasons like Downs Syndrome), but lots of people have that stance. Heck, I'm pro-life and I would never abort a child, but that doesn't make me qualified to be our V.P. (and with McCain's age, possible President).

Of course, I still have to read a lot more and do a lot more research, but I feel like McCain kind of blew it here. I just wish that the Evangelical majority was more concerned with the bigger picture than simply the abortion debate. But, that is another discussion for another time.

I'm off to class (yes, Saturday class on a holiday weekend...grrrr...).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well.....McCain has said that it is his top priority to choose the most qualified person he can find in the country to be a heartbeat away from the presidency. He speaks of "Islamofacism" (whatever that is) as being "the transcendental issue of our time" (again, whatever that means).

His exceedingly good judgement has told him that the best person to deal with the transcendental issue of our time is Sarah Palin, a person he met with once for 15 minutes several months ago and spoke with briefly a second time Sunday when he gave her the nod. Oddly, her expertise in the transcendental issue of our time has been largely unknown to....everyone, up until now.

This choice doesn't tell me much about Sarah Palin but it sure says a lot about McCain. I can't believe he would do something so fundamentally unserious. It just boggles the mind.

(p.s. frankly I'll be surprised if she ultimately ends up on the ticket though you never know. They know they are going to lose, it might be possible he couldn't find anyone else, even Joe Lieberman, willing to put his neck on the line for a lost cause).

xoxo from your favorite cousin....

David said...

Hi Carrie,

As you develop your views on Palin, just keep in mind that she's the only candidate (for VP or POTUS) that actually has *executive* experience. Serving as a senator is very different from running an entire state.

Also, Obama isn't exactly an old geezer compared to her. So the age factor shouldn't be that important (and how old was Clinton when he was elected?).

I'm not saying she was the best choice for VP, but the 'lack of experience' argument does need some perspective, in my humble opinion.

Anonymous said...

http://www.thoenebooks.com/blog.asp?post=0&id=430


In all of her experience she has been quite a whistleblower- even toward fellow republicans. She strikes me as a person with a lot of integrity.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Palin

Her experience is at least equal to or greater than Obama's.

:)
Stacie

Lee Jones said...

*executive* experience? OK, I think I could get that much experience before the election myself. It's almost like he's trying to lose.