Saturday, March 27, 2010

Our job as parents.

Last night we went to Disneyland as a family. It's one of those things we like to do occasionally as a fun thing. Purposely taking the kids out right at bed time and letting them stay up late. It's fun, although poor Aaron tends to have a dazed look on his face most of the night. Kind of like, "It feels like bedtime, I'm in my jammies, WHY AM I ON A CAROUSEL!?"

Yesterday Sam and I noticed, on two separate occasions, people being absolute jerks when it came to the etiquette of line standing.

The first culprit was a mom and her two kids. We were all in line for the tram and the mom had her two small children push up as close to the front of the line as possible (ducking under people's arms and pushing around them), and then "excused" her way to the front to join her children. That was mildly annoying because they got on the tram before us and we had to wait for the next tram because of their actions. Boo.

The second culprits were, once again, in the tram line. This time we were going back to the parking structure and we were waiting in (long) line to ride the tram back. As we were waiting in line three older teenagers calmly walked past every one in line and stood in the front of the line. They openly ignored all of the tired families standing there with their strollers and ignored everyone who threw them death glares.

This opened up a conversation with Sam and I. Do we point out the rudeness and inconsideration of these people, or do we sit there and stew in our frustration with stupid people?

After we got off of the tram I said to Sam, "You know, I don't know if it's our job to point out the rudeness of others, but it definitely IS our job to raise our children not to be jerks."

He agreed.

So, I promise society that I am raising my sons to open doors for ladies, wait politely in line, and generally be a positive addition to society.

Of course, once they hit their teen years, I have no guarantees that the things they are taught will stick, but I can only hope and pray that no one looks at my kid and mutters some of the things that I was muttering under my breath last night.

No comments: