Thursday, October 23, 2008

More about politics.

As of late my email has been bombarded with impassioned friends calling people to vote for the candidate who will "end abortion". These emails pull at my heart strings because of course I want to end abortion. I would love it if someone could vote for the magic candidate who had the power to make it illegal to terminate a pregnancy simply because it was inconvenient to the mother or because the child was "unwanted". But, I know better. I know that abortion will not be made illegal in my life time. I also know that many of the people who support abortion say that if we make abortion illegal then we will be making it impossible for those who are raped to abort their child or for an abortion to happen in cases of incest or a threat to the health of the mother. Statistically speaking, the number of abortions that occur because of those two cases is actually quite low. Besides that, why is anyone's life less important or worth any less than anyone else's because of how he/she was conceived? Yes, rape is a terrible thing and to be forced to carry a baby to term would be extremely difficult, but isn't a human life worth more than a simple "inconvenience"?

But, I digress. I didn't want this post to be about abortion. Instead, I wanted to post a link to something that was very thought provoking. It's an article by Jim Wallis who blogged about the importance of looking at all of the so-called "non-negotiables" of voting and to look at the whole picture of all of the issues. So, rather than get on my political soapbox, I will let someone else get on his and I challenge you to think about what is important to you. I challenge you to think about the whole picture.

http://www.sojo.net/blog/godspolitics/?p=3166

Thanks.

2 comments:

McMommy said...

Oooh..Carrie, you brave woman you!! Looking at you talking politics on a blog!! :)

Happy POW!!

Aprille - The Muddled said...

what no comments? come on people it is just a little politics. Hey I liked that article. I hope you don't mind, I liked to you in a post in response to it!