Sunday, April 6, 2008

Gossip...

Proverbs 11:13 A gossip betrays a confidence, but a trustworthy man keeps a secret.

Proverbs 16:28 A perverse man stirs up dissension, and a gossip separates close friends.

Proverbs 26:20 Without wood a fire goes out; without gossip a quarrel dies down.

Lately I've been wishing that gossip wasn't so prevalant in society. And although I'm wishing that I could get on my own high horse and say I never gossip, or that I'm simply talking about my non-church friends, I'm not. I am the first one to readily admit that at times there is nothing I would rather do than share my frustrations concerning individuals with the world. But, luckily common sense has stopped me quite a bit (recently) and I have learned to shut my trap.

However, there are times where I wonder about others...let's just say that as of late certain things that I thought were private issues between two people have been mentioned to me in passing by a third party (or many third parties...). It's even worse when it's mentioned in a rude, snide manner that just shows how skewed a person becomes when only hearing one side of a story. So, I encourage all of us (myself first and foremost) to remind ourselves of the Proverbs. And, if you just can't bring yourself to believe something written in the Bible, perhaps remind yourself of something your mother might have told you when you were younger. "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." I'm sure it will help a lot of people in the long run (and save yourself from being dragged in the middle of something that just might not be your business).

No comments: