Monday, March 16, 2009

Sam update with pictures.

Here is the latest update from Sam with pictures.

The castle is 13th century Byzantine which was conquered by the Ottomans when they invaded. We went out today to Vitina and had lunch in a great cozy restaurant. There was an Albanian, Kosovo, and US flag flying outside and inside. It was delicious, and they served us coffee on the house.







We also went to see where the Serbians dug their tank positions in 99 up inthe mountains facing Macedonia. They were anticipating a NATO invasion,so those tanks were pointed at us. However, they capitulated and KFOR was able to roll into KOSOVO unthreatened. We also visited a beautiful Albanian Catholic church. Painted on the walls was the OT story, the NT story, and the Catholic Albanian story. Also painted were large portraits of Mother Theresa and Skenderbeg. Skenderbeg was an Albanain war hero who converted back and forth from Islam to Catholicism (acouple of times) and fought the Turks. He is a national hero. I suspect that the church testifies more to their national identity than their religious identity, but I am slightly biased...
I know it sounds like he's playing a lot, but I suspect he's working a whole lot too. I mailed out his new laptop today and will be able to have more pictures then (since he can download them directly onto his computer and email them to me from his room). I also have a story from visiting the post office today which I will post tomorrow. It was kind of cool...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It does sound like Sam gets to play alot, but I know he is working too. But at least this time out he does get to get out of the office. I am sure that is a nice thing for him.