Monday, June 22, 2009

I can't believe I'm blogging about this!

I watched Jon and Kate Plus 8 tonight. I'm ashamed that I'm even blogging about this!

But, I started watching the show when we got cable because I had heard so much about this family and I had to see what it was about. Then, it was like a train wreck. I couldn't help but watch. Sam and I would watch it together and couldn't believe how Kate talked to Jon and totally emasculated him on t.v. for everyone to see.

Then the rumors started and the tabloids got all over it. Jon's apparent cheating, Kate being a shrew, etc. All I could do was hope that they would pull the plug on the show and focus on their marriage and getting it back on track. Because, seriously, if I was that sick of paparazzi hounding my family and rumors being plastered all over the covers of magazines I would take my family and run far away from the public eye.

So, when TLC said that tonight was going to be a special announcement from Jon and Kate I was hoping that they were going to say they were quitting filming. That they realized that their family and their marriage was way more important than any money that people would pay them.

Unfortunately, I was wrong and they are getting a divorce.

The thing that got me was when they were talking about how the kids always came first and that everything was always about the kids. That was why they moved and why they started the show in the first place. While I'm all about making my kids a priority I think that we do our kids a disservice by not making our spouses and our marriages our number one priority.

This is something I've been thinking about for quite awhile. My mind has more freedom to wander now that I'm not in school and it sometimes fixates on the weirdest things. But, with Sam being gone right now my life is my kids. Their needs are always met before my own and they take priority over everything. But, when Sam and I are on Skype talking, Nathaniel needs to learn that I am talking to Daddy and unless he is bleeding or choking or something is on fire, he is not allowed to interrupt.

Why? Why do I think that my relationship with my husband is more important than my kids? I think this for many reasons. First of all, if Sam and I aren't happy, our kids are going to know and ARE going to be affected. If we bicker and fight and disrespect each other, our sons will think that is what a relationship looks like and that won't help them in the future. Second, our kids are eventually going to move out, but our marriage is supposed to be until death. I want to be happy with Sam when our kids move out and still be crazy in love with him just like when we first got married. THAT is why I make my marriage a priority.

Do I neglect my children? No. Do I love my children more than anything? Of course! But, part of that is showing them how much Sam and I cherish each other and making sure that nothing gets in the way of that.

I only wish that Jon and Kate could have focused on their marriage in the midst of their children. Of course, I don't have 8 children, so I don't know what that's like.

3 comments:

Lee Jones said...

I don't follow the show, but it is too bad that they chose divorce instead of reconciliation. You're right - if it were really about the kids, they would have made some changes along the way, AND they wouldn't be choosing divorce now.

Cathy and I kid about how our love makes our furkids feel secure. I think you're right on by putting your relationship with Sam at the top of the list. :-)

The Escobedos said...

I totally agree. I used to watch Jon and Kate because she would have some good ideas of things to do with the kids, but now we don't have cable luckly. I think Kate's problem goes beyond paying attention to her marriage, she's also estranged from her family, she might just be the type that it's her way or she could care less about you. She doesn't notice how badly she treats him. It's so hard not to get sucked up in their world.

Cheryl Smith said...

I can't believe you blogged about Jon & Kate either.........;-)