Friday, May 2, 2008

The mother of all meltdowns...

I am officially a "bad, mean old mommy". I made Nathaniel pick up the crayons that he dumped all over the floor, and I took away his toys and closed his bedroom door (to keep him away from the toys, not to lock him in). Doing this caused the snotty, crying, screaming fit of the year. For 2.5 hours he screamed and hit and threw things and flailed and even went as far as tugging on my heart strings by crying, "bee-bee...beeee....beeeeeee..." While I sat there calmly telling him he needed to pick up his crayons. Aren't I terrible? Teaching my child responsibility and that throwing a wing ding of a fit doesn't get him his way?

Needless to say, he finally calmly picked up his crayons, came over and gave me a big hug, and then ate a huge lunch (okay, soup and a banana, but he ate a lot of soup). Ugh, what a morning.

More news on the blankie front (maybe I should call this "blankie gate"?). A dear long time friend of mine read my blog and went to the kid kouture website and sent me a gift card (online voucher) for said blankie-type along with an email. What a sweetie! (Thanks Erika!!). Of course, the blankie story tugged on her emotions because of her blankie (and hankie) that she had when she was growing up that she ended up burying with her mom when she passed away from cancer a few years ago. Of course, I was bawling like Nathaniel (oh my, did I just type that?) when I read her email...

Again, I really do think that school is causing me to lose my mind.

All in all, good week (aside from fits). I finished a huge paper, was blessed by a friend, my son spent the night with some friends last weekend (and Sam and I got to go to D-land and ride big kid rides) and yesterday we got to go to the Talbot Student Banquet last minute for free! It's been some good de-stressing times. Of course...I still have a butt load to do (and so does Sam), but in three weeks this semester will be over (and then the 6 weeks of summer classes start...*ominous music*).

Hooray!!!

2 comments:

McMommy said...

Yikes. I know exactly what you are going through! The temper tantrums are NO FUN. And on the days where my son skips his nap?? Watch out!! Major meltdown ahead!

Lee Jones said...

My two cents... if you didn't say so, I don't think we'd ever notice what a "bad" mommy you were being. Although, I am almost certain that Sam is warping his son...