Monday, May 11, 2009

Random thoughts.

I don't have a crafty title for this blog post so I thought I would just be random. Speaking of random, someone just knocked on my door who did not speak English very well asking me about my daughter...wrong apartment (second time this week!).

Okay, so here are some random things going on in my mind.

I've been thinking about pride and the difference/line between healthy pride and arrogance. I think that there is such a thing as false humility, and I don't want to have that (you know, 'oh, it was nothing, I'm nothing, I don't do any good for anyone, yadda yadda yadda'), but I don't want to be boastful either.

In fact, if there is one thing that humbles anyone it's potty training. It doesn't matter how great of a parent you are or aren't, if your kid isn't ready to be potty trained, he ain't gonna do it!

But, lately there are some things I've been proud of. I hope I'm not braggy here, but I'm proud and I need an outlet. So, please, indulge me here.

First, I'm proud of Nathaniel. He actually got potty trained! He's not even three yet and he is basically potty trained. He even keeps his pull-up dry during the night and nap time for the most part. I'm just not brave enough to have him go without it yet because the last thing I want is pee sheets to wash. It's bad enough that I am up two times a night still with Aaron, I don't need another thing. I am so proud of him, and he knows it. I think it was the huge smile on my face, the giant hug he got and the stickers that got him to continue to go #2 on the toilet. He could tell that I was proud of him, and I saw him sit up a little straighter.

I'm also proud of Aaron. He's gorgeous. He is one stinking cute baby. To say otherwise would be lying. He's just so chubby and round and smiley and good natured. He even stopped the crying during supper time the last couple of nights. He goes to sleep at night without too much of a fuss and he has this laugh that makes me laugh too. He adores his big brother, and has since he emerged from the womb, but lately he has ignored Nathaniel to give ME the prize winning grin and the happy coos. That makes everything all better. And, he loves kisses and is starting to expect them so he opens his mouth and squints his eyes. So CUTE! Plus, it's hard not to notice the people who ooh and aw over my baby while walking at Disneyland. I get a lot of smiles when I'm wearing him. Of course, they aren't for me, but my adorable offspring.

I'm proud of my husband. I'm proud that he is overseas serving our country and helping others. I'm proud that he isn't a complainer about it, even though he has missed out on potty training (not sure he would complain about that) and the birth and development of his second son. He puts his nose to the grindstone and tries to figure out the best way to work with the people of Kosovo. He has explained so much to me about the problems there and how they are trying to manage things. Sure, I miss him like crazy, but I am so proud of him.

Finally, I'm proud of myself. This is where the line gets fuzzy for me. I think it's perfectly okay for me to brag about my family and their awesome-ness. But, I think it's okay to toot my own horn once in awhile. I'm proud that I have managed the past two months with two kids and no husband. I'm proud that I even rode the potty train during that time. I'm proud that I haven't lost my mind (yet) and have managed to have some sort of normalcy. I'm also proud because I've managed to stick to a quasi workout routine and have lost nearly all of my baby weight in only three months. I'm proud (and happy) because for once I am happy with my body, knowing that having kids did change the way I look, but that's okay because I have great kids to show for it and I don't look that bad at all.

So, I guess my random post turned into a brag session. Sorry if this read like one of those Christmas letters (and Johnny got into West Point, we are so proud! *gag*), but I felt the need to write and this is what my brain crapped out.

I'm going to go watch a movie now and relax before bedtime. Cheers!

Oh, and feel free to write comments about my evil pride. I don't mind! :)

1 comment:

Samuel S. Grummons said...

Love, your thoughts are great. I am going to brag about my awesome family.