Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day!

Happy Father's Day!

Today is the day we honor fathers of many types. The father of our children, our own fathers, and even the men who stepped into our lives in the absence of fathers. Today I get to honor all three.

First of all, I get to honor Sam. The father of my child. This is one amazing man who is quite possibly the best dad to ever walk this earth (huge bias on my part). This is the man who will get up in the middle of the night to change diapers, comfort the crying kid and just make sure that the things that go bump in the night really are the stupid kitties. This is the man who works his butt off to make sure we have a roof over our head and food on our table (and then cooks the food for the table!). This is the man who has sacrificed so much so that I could pursue my dreams (don't worry Sam, your turn is coming!). Not only do I get to call him my husband, Nathaniel gets to call him daddy.

Secondly, I get to honor the man who was kind of a surrogate dad to me. My father was pretty absent throughout my childhood/adolescence. There was a teacher at school who cared about me enough to make me feel valued. Ken Seversen is an amazing person and teacher as well. Sadly, I don't have any pictures of him readily available on my computer, but trust me, this man was kind to many students. I know I must have annoyed the crap out of him with my exuberant behavior (I was kind of talkative...) but he was always kind enough to make me feel welcome.

Finally, I get to honor the man who was my actual father. Sure, he was pretty absent for a lot of my life, but we reconciled when I was older and began to build that relationship that should have always been there. He was there to give his blessing when Sam wanted to marry me, and he was there to give me away at my wedding and dance with me on my wedding day. Sadly, he lost his battle with cancer 7 months after Sam and I got married so he was never able to meet his grandson. But, our tattered relationship was mended before he passed and I couldn't ask for anything else.

Happy Father's Day.

Me and my father and the brood of children my mom babysat for (can you guess who I am?)
Sam wrestling with the boy.

Sam and I in Washington last summer.


2 comments:

McMommy said...

Very sweet!! Where in Washington was that picture of you and Sam taken?

That looks similar to a place McDaddy and visited called Mulkiteo.

Hope Sam has a wonderful Father's day with you and Nate!

Kate said...

I vote...you're the one in the white in the back? If not, that kid definitely has your face. :)

I miss you!!!