Wednesday, July 16, 2008

New Doctor.


I had my first appt. with my new OB Dr. today. It was very reassuring and I know I'm going to be well taken care of. First of all, she shares her practice so she won't be burned out and ready to quit by the time I'm finished with this pregnancy! Secondly, I was given a full exam, which never happened with my other doctor at all. Plus, when I jumped on the scale there were no comments about my weight gain, in fact I was encouraged since I've only gained 5 pounds so far (not bad for nearly being through my first trimester) and that was comparing home weight with doctor scale (which is always different). I was very encouraged.


On a more concerning note, my new doctor actually remembered me from my delivery two years ago. She helped Dr. Kimber during my complications. That was interesting (how many babies are born a year and she remembered my complications exactly!) but what concerned me was that she isn't convinced that the complications were what I was told. I was told that my uterus turned inside out on it's own accord due to placenta accreta (where the placenta embeds itself so far in the uterus that it turns the uterus inside out and takes it with during delivery). That may be the case, but it also could be the case that my Dr. pulled on the umbilical cord to get the placenta out and that caused my (life threatening) complications. Sigh. I am going to fight a lot more this time around for my patient rights. Things like no pitocen and the ability to walk around during labor and natural delivery of the placenta...


I also got to have another ultra sound (so she could make sure my due date is accurate) and she also told me that she didn't want me to have another big baby like Nathaniel. I think that I am just going to have to tell her that A. Big babies run in Sam's family and B. My body handled carrying the big baby just fine. My pushing was minimal and all went well. I don't want to be induced and I don't want a preterm baby just so my baby is smaller.


The ultra sound was awesome. My baby looks like a baby now (as opposed to a lima bean) and was sucking its thumb and had the hiccups for a little bit.


That's about it here. No word from Sam since Saturday! I'm sure he's fine, just busy busy busy.

1 comment:

Lee Jones said...

Aw... and I thought the lima bean looked kinda like Sam. :-)

Cathy thinks it is funny that your child is already sucking on a thumb. Awesome!